Time for year in review!
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
Maintained my 4.0 in grad program, made a baby, facilitated at LeaderShape, took my husband out of the country, voted for my first female presidential candidate, met and had dinner with Wil Wheaton, wrote a chapter for publication in a book, presented a paper in a panel at a national conference, grew butternut squash and spaghetti squash in our garden, toured the White House, visited the National Zoo, completed a benchmarking study on RA compensation
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions and will you make more for this year?
I did and yes!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Lots of Clark babies this year: Austin, Emma, Hudson…and two more arriving in 2017! Plus Jaxon!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, but the amount of celebrities that passed away that had an effect on growing up was huge…I’m still sad about so many of them.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
Data for my research…slowly working on it with my survey design independent study!
7. What dates from 2016 will remain etched on your memory and why?
April 4-Met Wil Wheaton
May 21-22-Conn reunion
June 29-White House tour
September 10-Big Pour
September 17-saw Skyler in RENT
September 18-Positive pregnancy test
September 25-saw the West Wing cast campaign for Hillary
November 7-heard Baby Bunn’s heartbeat for the first time
November 8-voted for the first female presidential candidate on a major party ticket
November 9-13-NWSA in Montreal
November 25-Emma is born
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Keeping my 4.0 and finally making a baby!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Getting my diabetes under control…I know some of it is genetic, but I could have done a better job of taking care of myself
10. What was the best thing you bought?
Gas to get to see all our friends and family this year
11. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Matt, my co-workers and supervisor, some of my students, my friends, my cohort
12. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
some of my students, some of my family, many of our political figures
13. Where did most of your money go?
Bills and traveling….both worth it.
14. What did you get really, really excited about?
Research, visiting the White House, Emma being born, getting pregnant
15. What song will always remind you of 2016?
“Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen…because we lost him and because of Kate MacKinnon’s performance on SNL
16. Compared to this time last year are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier
ii. thinner or fatter? fatter
iii. richer or poorer? richer
17. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercising…I lost a lot of my flexibility this year
18. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying…my anxiety has been pretty ridiculous
19. How will you be spending Christmas?
With the family
20. Did you fall in love in 2016?
I already was and still am….Matt is the love of my life and always will be.
21. How many one night stands?
22. What was your favorite tv program?
Shondaland, Call the MidWife, Stranger Things, Jessica Jones, Downton Abbey
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate at this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
So many books…The Rhizome of Blackness was really impactful, loved The Lives of Campus Custodians by Peter Magolda, and am anxiously awaiting the next Rivers of London novel to come out
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Didn’t really have one.
26. What did you want and get?
A healthy pregnancy
27. What did you want and not get?
A different outcome for an event in someone’s life.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I was a big fan of Ghostbusters and Zootopia
29. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
We were camping with K&K and the kids and Sean…had breakfast over the fire, then drove home…a bit long and tiring, but fun!
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
32. What kept you sane?
Matt, my co-workers, Sarah, Sarah, Joe, Rob
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hillary Clinton is a role model
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
reproductive justice, the election
35. Who do you miss?
A lot of people
36. Who was the best new person you met?
The adorable personality that is coming out in Raegan and her little sister.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
There are a lot of things you can’t control, but resistance and passion, will overcome the ills.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Now for resolutions (Italics are 2016′s, then responses, then 2017 will be at the bottom):
1. Don’t beat myself up about weight loss. For the past two years, I have talked about losing weight and every year I beat myself up for not doing it. No more…just focus on being healthy. If the weight comes off while doing that, well great, but it’s not the focus.
I have continued to do this and will continue to do so!
2. Talk to health professionals about my health issues.
I found a really great chiropractor who has helped my hips stay in alignment, we went to the fertility specialist and found out we were pregnant a week later, and have continued my allergy shots.
3. Run a strong RA selection process. We will have the largest RA staff ever this upcoming year and I need good folks to fill those spots!
This happened! We had over 270 candidates for 150 positions. I’m hoping to repeat the process this year!
4. Take time to read for pleasure and not sit in front of the television with my iPad every night.
There are definitely nights when I zone out with my iPad, but have definitely done a lot more reading for pleasure this year.
- Have a healthy baby. This means taking my insulin, eating well, and getting my steps in.
- Finish my comprehensive exams while on leave. I know some people think I am crazy, but I am determined.
- Get a great set of data for my dissertation in the Fall.
- Take care of myself while doing all of the things above!
Here’s to a new year…I hope it is happy and healthy for all!