I think I’ve been doing this survey for almost 10 years..it’s nice to see what has changed throughout the years! Here we go with 2012 Year in Review!
To fill out the annual New Year’s survey and assess last year’s resolutions:
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Worked in a 5 person office that was down to 3!, camped in Vermont, flew to Tennessee for a job interview, went to London!, watched my sister get engaged, let my little brother drive my car (he was only 16 at the time and only had his permit), finished Game of Thrones
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions and will you make more for this year?
I think I need to blow them up poster size and put them on the wall. Then maybe I will pay attention to them more to fulfill them!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Kelsey had Dillon, Amanda had Emma and Marie had Gavin! And Marci and Corrie will have little girls in 2013!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not close to me, but close to my dad: Jack McDonald, the township supervisor
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Motivation is still up there…but let’s be honest, I want a baby and to take my next step in my student affairs journey.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched on your memory and why?
February 3rd-When Justice Has a Body
March 17th-St. Patty’s Day Parade in Pittsburgh
March 26-31-V-Week and Vag Mons
June 4-Dickinson On-Campus
June 6-Saying goodbye to Amy!
July 2-Whale Watching in Plymouth
July 27-29-Jason and Michelle’s Wedding Weekend
August 7-30th Birthday!
September 21-24-Camping in Vermont with K&K
October 29-November 4-London!
December 15-Megan gets engaged in NYC
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Haha…surviving first semester! Also, Camelympics…it went so well, and the social media campaign was awesome
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not getting my body baby ready
10. What was the best thing you bought?
Camping site fees, gas for the car to visit people and my Kindle Fire
11. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Matt, my co-workers and supervisor, my cousins, our friends
12. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
some of my students
13. Where did most of your money go?
Bills and traveling….both worth it.
14. What did you get really, really excited about?
V-Week and Vag Mons, SGNG, camping, the 30 Before 30 list, Penguin Run, Megan getting engaged
15. What song will always remind you of 2012?
“Home” by Phillip Phillips
16. Compared to this time last year are you:
i. happier or sadder? about the same
ii. thinner or fatter? fatter
iii. richer or poorer? richer
17. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercising-foot surgery really threw me off my game
18. What do you wish you’d done less of?
worrying about the little things
19. How will you be spending Christmas?
With the family
20. Did you fall in love in 2012?
I already was and still am….Matt is the love of my life and always will be.
21. How many one night stands?
22. What was your favorite tv program?
Grey’s and Scandal
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate at this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
Hunger Games-totally sucked me in. I also really liked Cinderella Ate My Daughter and Why Have Kids? by Jessica Valenti
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Didn’t really have one.
26. What did you want and get?
A heck of a lot of change!
27. What did you want and not get?
A mid-level position
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I’m in love with Brave
29. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I turned 30! I went to work and had a nice day, then went to the train station to pick up what I thought was fish, but turned out to be my best friend Sarah! I took her home with me and Matt was home early for work and had made reservations at Bravo Bravo for dinner. While at dinner Matt and Sarah gave me their presents and Sarah surprised me by telling me she was taking me to London for 5 days! After that, Josh met us at the house and we hung out until midnight before Sarah had to go to the train.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Losing weight like I had promised myself I would.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Business casual with athletic
32. What kept you sane?
Matt, my co-workers, Sarah, Meg and Kate
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
reproductive justice, the election
35. Who do you miss?
A lot of people
36. Who was the best new person you met?
#SATech people, new students
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Remember to take care of yourself! Otherwise you end up being knocked out by a wicked cold right when you get back from an awesome trip.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Just know you’re not alone
We’re going to make this place your home.
Now for resolutions (Italics are 2012′s, then responses, then 2013 will be at the bottom):
1. Seriously, I need to kick ass on this 30 pound loss. I have been saying it for 2 years and have made all sorts of excuses for not following through. Too many family deaths and a wedding in July need to be my motivators.
Dude, I am a fail at weight loss. With Megan getting married in 2014, I really need to make this happen. My foot is healed, asthma is under control (relatively), I really have no excuses.
2. Do the majority of the 30 before 30 list…I know there are some things on the list that are going to be a reach for me e.g. I need to work on getting a new passport if I want to travel outside the US. And Matt is a little worried I’m going to kill his new clutch if teaches me to drive stick shift. But I’ll work on it.
I did 19/30…definitely not bad. I didn’t learn how to drive stick shift, but I got to leave the country! I didn’t sew a gift for someone, but I made a beautiful growth chart for Amanda. And I’m going to do that lap swimming, I swear…I just have to not be worried about what I look like after lunch, haha!
3. Keep track of the books I read. Goodreads is super easy to use and I can search by ISBN number if I need to. It will make it easier to keep count and to give recommendations to friends.
This one I did! It’s actually pretty up to date now…I’m still behind on books I’m reading, but I know where they are!
4. Try more new vegetables…maybe I’ll retry brussel sprouts?
So no brussel sprouts, but I did try acorn squash. I’m also much more comfortable with beans and quinoa and butternut squash and spaghetti squash are still favorites of mine.
1. Don’t beat myself up about weight loss. For the past two years, I have talked about losing weight and every year I beat myself up for not doing it. No more…just focus on being healthy. If the weight comes off while doing that, well great, but it’s not the focus.
2. Focus on the job search and my professional development.
3. Read 100 books in 2013…this seems like a super easy one, but it might not be! I’ll keep a separate page updated with the books I’ve read.
4. Try one new recipe a week…I have so many recipes on Pinterest and in cookbooks and in Evernote, I need to start making some of them!
Here’s to a new year…I hope it is happy and healthy for all!