, , ,

Thanks for all the great responses on Facebook and Twitter about my 30 before 30 list! It’s been great sharing with folks and I love all the offers for help!

Before we were waiting in limbo for for the job search, we had planned to try and get some camping in on my birthday weekend with my friends. Kevin and Kelsey were able to join us this weekend and we had a lot of fun.

We actually headed to PA first on Thursday night to start our mini vacation off early. Due to some work paperwork issues with Matt, we didn’t actually get on the road until about 9pm and got to my parent’s house around midnight. We headed right to bed and got up early the next morning because my little brother was heading to work and wanted to see me in case he wasn’t going to be able to come up to the campsite the next day. So we opened birthday presents at 7:30am. We got a bunch of camping gear, including a storage stacker, egg holder, cutting board, silverware, tent light, plus Matt got a bunch of sausage from the Alpine and a case of Yuengling. We putzed around and got ready, then I called my Grandma to see if she wanted to go to lunch. She loves it when I surprise her at home and this time was no different.

I was dying to head to TEC to visit folks, but I saw on Facebook that Olympics broke early in the morning, which meant late breakfast and Apache Relay in the afternoon so I wasn’t going to be able to see anyone. It makes me really, really sad, but this may be the first summer that I do not get back to camp to see people. My mom has seen more of my camp family than I have this summer. 😦

After lunch with Grandma, we went back to the house and packed up and headed to the campsite. When we checked in, the store was freakin’ filled with loud, obnoxious people. I was a little nervous that we were going to be listening to other peoples’ conversations and music the whole weekend. I had asked specifically for a quiet area near a bath house and they actually did pretty well.

This was Matt cooking Cornish Game Hens and sausage while we’re waiting for Kev and Kels….as you can see, no neighbors.

Here’s the campsite completely set up. This was Saturday morning before we headed out to find someplace that would rent us a boat. Unfortunately, no one would rent us a boat while we had Rayleigh, so we found a way to get down to the river ourselves.

We hung around on the rocks, ate the yummy cheese from the farmer’s market we visited earlier, played with this duck and her ducklings (which were not shy AT ALL) and chatted about stuff.

We headed back to the campsite because we saw some clouds rolling in and set up a tarp over the picnic table so we wouldn’t be completely rained out if the rain started coming down. My parents came with birthday cake and camp chairs and were only there for about 20 minutes before the rain started coming down. We moved ourselves underneath the tarp and had some lunch, and my traditional birthday cake: chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. It is the cake my mother has made for me ever since I stopped having a yearly birthday party.

So I am pretending to blow out candles here….we couldn’t get them to light with the wind. My parents and Evan left around 4 to take him back to work and we tried to figure out what we were going to do now that it seemed to be raining harder and harder. We moved the firepit, because well, this happened:

Yeah, that would be standing water. We thought we were staying relatively dry under the tarp…and then the water started encroaching. By the end of our night (probably around 8:30), we were sitting in about 3 inches of water around our entire campsite.

In the meantime, we had some corn:

and Kevin had one last massive piece of cake:

(He was very excited.)

We played some cards in our tent, then headed to bed. Today was just eating breakfast, packing and heading home. I have massive amounts of laundry to do and I need to repack our new stacker, but it will be a decent day off after our long weekend.

And to end, a baby in a box:

Thanks for the birthday wishes!